For one of my current projects we’re using MDT 2012 Update 1 and we configured the MDT DB using the database wizard as we’re using the MDT database as source for our deployment. It holds host name and IP configuration of the target machines (as we can remove the need to press F12 for PXE with the use of RES Automation Manager 2012 we have a great ZTI solution).
But we ran into a problem when using the database as the targets would use the DB information so they were deployed using the automatically generated hostsnames and based on DHCP. So when looking into the results in the C:\Windows\Temp folder we discovered that we got an error:
ZTI error opening SQL Connection. SQL server does not exist or access denied.
Unable to establish database connection using [CSETTINGS] properties. SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Unable to establish database connection using [CROLES] properties. SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Which resulted in the following deployment summary:
And so we started to troubleshoot:
1) Turn of the Windows Firewall on the SQL server (although we already created a inbound rule on the fw that was working).
2) Created an SQL account instead of Windows Auth.
3) Used a simplified password
This didn’t solve the problem until one of the sys admins had a Eureka!-moment, we configured the database based on Named Pipes and that uses Integrated security, as I was adding a DBID and DBPWD in my CustomSettings.ini this clearly would provide some problems. After removing the DBID and DBPWD the deployment went like we would expect and all data from the MDT DB was applied.
Latest posts by Kees Baggerman (see all)
- XenServer and Nutanix: Insights on the how - September 7, 2017
- Making sure your Citrix Desktops are utilized with Powershell v2 - September 6, 2017
- Protecting your Citrix desktops on Nutanix using powershell - August 4, 2017
- Citrix Provisioning on Nutanix AHV [Updated with PVS support for AHV] - June 28, 2017
- Microsoft SCVMM and Citrix PVS, exporting retries to a CSV - June 19, 2017