In this blogpost I will gather some tips and tricks on creating images in Citrix PVS and/or MCS but they will be applicable on VMware View implementations to because most of them are OS related. The first couple of tips I got from this document which is written for View but like I already said you can use this for XenDesktop.
Windows OS Optimizations
• Install Windows Patches, then turn OFF Automatic Update
• Disable Serial and Parallel ports in Device Manager (if they exist)
• Set Screensaver to “None” or “Blank”
• Disable System Sounds (Set Sound scheme to “None”)
• (Windows 7) Uninstall Tablet PC Component
• Disable Windows Error Reporting
• Remove unnecessary boot applications (Quicktime, Real, Adobe Acrobat Updater, etc.
• Remove unneeded Windows components (Outlook Express,Messenger, Games, etc.)
• Disable unnecessary services
Wireless Zero Configuration Security Center Help and support Telephony Shell hardware detection Indexing Service SSDP Discovery Service Task scheduler Machine Debug Manager Remote Registry Themes Network Location Awareness