As I’m working on a solution note for Citrix NetScaler VPX on Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) I was looking to deploy the VPX on AHV and not completely coincidentally Ronnie Hamilton asked me if I had some tips on how to deploy the NetScaler VPX on AHV which was enough reason write a new blogpost.
Nutanix AHV is Citrix Ready for the Citrix NetScaler VPX, meaning that we can use this virtual appliance to run on Nutanix AHV. Basically we can use the KVM appliance that Citrix offers at their download site to run on Nutanix AHV:
After downloading this file (TGZ) you can extract it with WINRAR and store it on your server. Next you can upload the .raw file to your Nutanix AHV cluster using your favourite SCP program (I’m using WinSCP here), note that the port is not 22 but 2222:
You can store the file anywhere on the Nutanix Distributed File System (Nutanix DFS), in this case I’ve used the folder ‘/ImageStore/NetScaler’ to store the .raw file in. After the upload you can easily use the following steps:
- Login to Prism
- Go to ‘VM’
- Click ‘Create VM’
- Assign a name for the VM
- Add the number of Cores/Processors
- Add the amount of memory you want to assign
- Add a NIC in the correct VLAN
- Add a disk
- Select ‘Clone from ADFS File’
- Select ‘IDE’
- Type the path of the .Raw file (Pro tip: <TAB> will autofill the path.
- Click on ‘Save’
If you power up the VM now you’ll see that the NetScaler VPX will boot and give you a login prompt:
While this works without a problem, I rather go for the Acropolis Command Line (ACLI) using the following commands I can remove the need for clicking around in the GUI:
vm.create netscaler01 memory=2G num_vcpus=2 num_cores_per_vcpu=1
vm.nic_create netscaler01 network=vlan.64
vm.disk_create netscaler01 bus=ide clone_from_adsf_file=/ImageStore/NetScaler/NSVPX-KVM-11.0-63.16_nc.raw
Hopefully this will help you deploying the Citrix NetScaler VPX on Nutanix AHV.
As David Collier has noticed we removed the serial port from AHV, this causes the NetScaler VPX for KVM to stop booting, running the following command adds the serial port to the VM:
vm.serial_port_create <VM Name> type=kServer index=0
My colleague Mike Umphreys was loading up a Citrix NetScaler VPX on AHV earlier today and ran into the following error when logging on via the console:
“No such file or directory”
Turns out that you need to remove the CD-ROM drive of the VM, if you remove the CD-ROM drive and you start the NetScaler VM all is good again.
Latest posts by Kees Baggerman (see all)
- NVIDIA GPU on AHV: The options (Video included) - December 6, 2017
- XenServer and Nutanix: Insights on the how - September 7, 2017
- Making sure your Citrix Desktops are utilized with Powershell v2 - September 6, 2017
- Protecting your Citrix desktops on Nutanix using powershell - August 4, 2017
- Citrix Provisioning on Nutanix AHV [Updated with PVS support for AHV] - June 28, 2017